Monday, May 25, 2009

Yogi in the Smokies...

We had an awesome weekend with Grammy and DadDad in Cherokee; you can't get anymore exciting than Yogi Bear, 200ft waterfalls, and 18inch trout!

We started the weekend hanging out in our campsite, which was right on the Raven Fork River. There was a lot more water than there was last year, so the river was noisier, but it helped keep the sounds around us down. I have to say, I loved it. Here is a shot of the river running by the site at night:


Here is the CanMan hanging with his Grammy:


Another really cool thing about the Yogi Campground is the fishing access. We were able to fish from the campsite, and actually caught some really nice sized trout! I caught the first one, which was around 18inches:




Then a few minutes later, Carl caught another nice rainbow trout... not as nice as mine, but I guess it was still ok... ;o) I mean 16inches or so isn't that bad...


Oh, did I mention that my son learned to ride his bike this weekend? AND he learned to swim this past week... yup, Rory actually rode his bike to the pool, went swimming, and rode it home! I can't believe how big he has gotten!



We got Arden into the pool too! He and Grammy had a blast!


Arden didn't want to do anything the whole weekend other than ride his bike! He is actually running, picking up his feet, and coasting without touching the ground! I am totally amazed at how fast he has picked this up... he will be riding a bike in no time at all.


After our bike ride and swimming, we decided to hike out to Mingo Falls, which is a little over 2 miles in each direction. It was a beautiful walk, but the end result was amazing, a 200ft waterfall that cascaded down to a little bridge.







The ride home was nice, the weather was pretty clear, and I had to stop and take a photo:


As we drove into the neighborhood, I noticed my neighbor trying to catch a HUGE snapping turtle and get it out of his garden... This guy was amazing; he was big, mean, and cranky:


I can't wait for our next trip to the Smokies... the mountains there really seem to call me; it seems like I want to return before we even leave...

No comments: