Friday, April 9, 2010

Memories Past...

So, I might be dating myself here, but do you remember playground equipment when we were children? Old wooden see-saws, merry-go-rounds, metal slides, wooden swing seats with heavy metal chains, those octagon shaped climbing bars, etc?

I think back on my days as a little kid, watching my sister play softball, and playing on those parks. I remember riding the merry-go-round until the whole world was spinning and my legs couldn't hold me up... I can still hear the joyous sequels of our friends, smell the honeysuckles growing on the fences, and still see how bright and vivid the world looked to me. Those might be some of the fondest memories I have of my childhood. I still think of them when I am driving with my windows down and the sweet smell of the honeysuckles comes in the car.

Now-a-days the parks are bigger, safer, and seem somewhat less unique. One of the coolest parts of coming out to the lake is the opportunity to ride our bikes down to the park, and for the boys to play on some of that "vintage" (yeah we can be nice and label it vintage and not antique) play ground equipment. They always have a blast, and seem to enjoy it more then the big, new, beautiful playgrounds we have at home! I really hope that these are some of those memories that will stick with them the same way they stuck with me.

Here are a few shots of Rory on the merry-go-round, and of them riding back together.

No comments: