Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Way Kids Think...

This morning, Carl and I were chatting in the car. I was telling him how excited and privileged I feel for being invited to attend the birth of a good friend of mine. We turned the conversation to the "husband" roll in the birth, and to home-birth.

Our entire family was a part of Canyon's birth. Rory and Carl both had "jobs" and Arden was there to experience it too. Rory chose to tell us what the gender of the baby was, and he chose to "help" mom cut the cord.

Rory was a part of Canyon's home-birth. He was a participant in bringing his brother into the world, and he (unlike Arden) is old enough to remember this, and to see it as the "norm" and natural. To me it really makes me smile to know that when he grows up, that he will encourage his partner to have a home birth and maybe even advocate for the natural birth process.

While we were talking about this, I turned to Rory in the back seat and asked him, "Rory, when you grow up and get married, will you have your babies at home?"

His reply was fast and sure... "NO!"

I asked "Where are you going to have the baby? At the hospital?"

And in typical 4YO fashion, he taught me something about semantics... "But mom... I am a BOY, I can't have babies!"

Amazing how the mind of a child works isn't it?

No comments: